Saturday, December 6, 2008

Eilean Donan



I knew this picture would come in handy.

Actually, I just thought it looked cool.
If you click on the picture of the map, you can find 'Eilean Donan Castle' in blue just beside Dornie, east of Kyle of Lochalsh.
Meet Eilean Donan, the prettiest castle in Scotland.


Rainy or not, this was a fantastic day. Beautiful, beautiful castle. They have weddings there, although apparently they don't close to the tourists for them, and I'm told part of a James Bond film (don't ask me which one -- The World Is Not Enough?) was shot here.

Eilean Donan is a small island -- the castle pretty much fills it up -- on Loch Duich.




Unfortunately, photography was prohibited indoors. Got a few pictures from the windows, though.
Indoors was rich and beautiful and frankly amazing. Lots of displays, lots of pictures -- lived up to the outside very well.






Clouds. :D
























Raindrops.
Incidentally, the orange-ish stuff on the loch is some kind of algae. Thereon my knowledge fails. But although it should have looked sludgy and gross, it was in reality very, very cool.










This is the bridge from the island to the mainland.









More loch. Beautiful, beautiful loch. I can't stress that enough.











More of the walls and things. Quite a lot of people were wandering through. There were a lot of rooms inside, nearly all of them with interesdting displays.










Again, if you click on the picture, it will get bigger.
This is magic.
If you do so, you'll see... two raindrops. But also the Scottish flag. Pretty sludge.

I know it's redundant to put this final picture. My excuse is that it's pretty.
The last installment of the sixteenth of September will have to wait for another day, because I'm getting tired of this.
...Pretty castle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Christina,

I have not spoken to you in who knows how long. You should email me sometime, providing that you are not to busy (no this is not to be used as an excuse). I am quite pleased that you are enjoying Scotland as much as you appear to be. How was your Christmas? Love you lots and miss you too. Yes the pictures are picturesque and I thouroughly have enjoyed them. I hope that you are having no troubles and I wish that I could hear you playing some of your diddies. Say can you send me a copy of, The Crazies (or what ever that piece of writing is called and the Rattie series if you ever finish it? Hope that you have an amazing 2009 and everyone says hello!

Love,
Jenn Jenn